DVD A Musical Journey: Finland Helsinki
Helsinki and the Art of Akseli Gallen-Kallela.
This tour of Finland concentrates on the capital, Helsinki, and the work of the Finnish artist Akseli Gallen-Kallela. It is accompanied throughout by the music of Jean Sibelius.
1. National Museum/Cathedral
2. National Museum: Fresco from the Kalevala
by Akseli Gallen-Kallela
3. Museum of Akseli Gallen-Kallela
4. Ateneum National Art Gallery: Akseli Gallen-Kallela
5. Ateneum Art Gallery and Gallen-Kallela Gallery:
Paintings and Wood Engravings by Akseli Gallen-Kallela
6. Ateneum Art Gallery: Paintings by Akseli Gallen-Kallela,
Johannes Takanen and Robert Wilhelm Ekman
7. Ateneum Art Gallery: Paintings by Akseli Gallen-Kallela
and Robert Wilhelm Ekman/Sibelius Park
Finland found its musical identity largely through the work of Jean Sibelius. He established himself as one of the most considerable of the late Romantic symphonists, and in his tone-poems created a national music that has defied imitation.